[Ardour-Dev] single button auto-punch feature

Nathan Stewart therealnathanstewart at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 19:18:44 PDT 2016

Another control surface support feature - my Zoom's (and I suspect others)
"Punch In/Out" button when used as a standalone recorder works something
like this:

Press "Punch In" button (F1) and it sets the punch in point. Press it again
and it sets the punch out point. Press it a third time and it will clear
both punch in and out.  I created a function in gtk2_ardour/editor_ops.cc
to mimic this behavior. It does the above, with one exception not
explicitly defined by the recorder's docs - If Punch In has been set, and
the playhead is rewound before the punch-in point, pressing the button
again will move the punch-in point without setting the punch-out. Otherwise
behavior is as stated above.

Here's my proposed patch for it. Since this is for control surface support
- I didn't add it to the Edit menu, but it is accessible from the editor
actions menu. There's a feature request for this (
http://tracker.ardour.org/view.php?id=2903) going back to 2009.

Nathan