[Ardour-Dev] OSC changes/updates

Johannes Mueller github at johannes-mueller.org
Sat Apr 16 09:00:19 PDT 2016

I definitely want the possibility to set automation states by OSC.

I recently submitted a PR on github, to set the gain automation state.

Paul then said it should be more generic like

/ardour/route/automation_state "gain" "w"

thus allowing for

/ardour/route/automation_state RID "solo" "m"
/ardour/route/automation_state RID "mute" "t"

I implemented this against 4.7 in my local installation, as I really need this
feature.

I haven't submitted a new PR because I want to wait until things get settled
after the vca2 merge.

BTW: I looked into the vca2 branch and admittedly I don't understand what it
is about. Is there some "white-paper" or some archived discussion on it, so
that I can get to know what is the actual goal of vca2?

Thanks,

Johannes

Len Ovens wrote:
> Just started working on some middleware for OSC control with Ardour.
> Here are some things I would like to work on in the Ardour code to make
> OSC use better. I would normally talk about this on IRC, but it is easier
> to put a clear idea of where I am going in this format.
>
> Feedback:
>  	sending /routes/list starts Ardour sending some feedback about
> each channel. There are:
>  	a) some things missing (such as pan or trim)
>  	b) some things that are not as useful as they could be
>  		- gain is abs only. Fader or dB would both be more useful.
>  		- SOLO is SIP only, Listen does not work.
>  	c) None of the master kinds of things get feedback turned on
>  		- master gain or mute
>  		- monitor anything
>  		- Transport controls
>  		- even though /routes/list returns PH position it is not monitored
>  	d) metering
>  		- I would suggest dB and positional metering
>  			(0-1 based on meter position in GUI)
>
> Banking:
>  	Feedback is already by server (the server that sent requests),
> Banking should therefore follow. Each server should have banksize and
> current_bank. Banksize = 0 means no banking for that server. So a
> controller would use banking by first sending a banksize command. Any bank
> type command should return an error if banksize = 0. On error, the
> controller should resend banksize if it wants banking. For a server
> receiving Banked info, all of the commands would be strip based instead of
> rid based. OSC code in Ardour would translate strip <=> rid for each
> transaction. I think this would be better than adding an /ardour/bank
> namespace. Effectively non-banked would be infinite bank size/bank 1.
>
> This is a far from full list of things that could help OSC. I am thinking
> that starting with the banking code would mean less work later on adding
> bank code to more functions (less work finding where it needs to be
> added). From what I can tell, most OSC controllers are tablet based with
> minimum internal smarts. Middleware could make up for that, but the person
> who downloads and uses a tablet app is likely to find that troublesome. So
> from their POV, Banking and positional control/feedback are probably most
> important.
>
> Comments? Maybe I am full of it :)
>
> --
> Len Ovens
> www.ovenwerks.net

Bitte Mails an mich verschlüsseln: Schlüssel-ID 3BD15CE4;
Fingerprint: C868 6D50 DBF1 C749 EE24 7314 4ED9 F210 3BD1 5CE4
http://johannes-mueller.org/oeffentlicher_schluessel.asc