[Ardour-Dev] the "tabbed" branch needs your evaluation

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 20:32:48 PDT 2015

On Monday, October 26, 2015 02:39:14 PM Paul Davis wrote:
> the "tabbed" branch in git is now theoretically ready for more extensive
> testing. There are no nightly builds, so this request is limited to people
> who build ardour themselves.

Built without any issues. Nothing worth mention from STDERR when running it.
Sessions load ok.

Odd things of note:

- If from the window menu, I open one of the listed windows and then close, it
still shows as visible under the windows menu even though the window is not
longer visible. Some do that, but not all of them.

- Lots of these error messages in the log window: [ERROR]: could not
reconstitute MementoCommand from XMLNode. object type = SelectionMemento id =
19

- When I detached the mixer tab, all the plugin controls were made visible in
the plugin strips.

- Detached the monitor panel from the mixer, and then closed the resulting
monitor panel window. Can’t figure out how to get the monitor panel back...

Tabs are very nice. Much easier IMO to move back and forth when only using a
single screen. Perhaps make “Audio connection manager” and “Midi connections
manager" windows available as tabs also? Perhaps with the bigger space the
user can be allowed to control which inputs and outputs are shown instead of
limiting it by type. The current layout is tedious and takes more clicks to
patch things, as well as it doesn’t give a very good visual cue to how
everything is connected unless you click through the different types. Perhaps
even use track/bus groups to hide show inputs/outputs in the routing.

There is a lot of wasted space to the right of the transport bar. Perhaps use
that space to doc the meter bridge when in the editor, and then use that space
to show a scrub bar (with marker and loop point lines) when in the mixer tab.
The space might be tight, but ideas like this could be very useful if an
elegant ui implementation can be achieved.

Last suggestion is to make the monitor panel from the mixer available as a tab
on the right side of the editor. (where currently Regions, Tracks & Busses,
etc. Tabs currently are) I’m often wanting to change solo type of dim / adjust
the monitor volume while in the editor and have to jump to the mixer to do so.

-Reuben