[Ardour-Dev] OSC signals about transport state

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Thu Nov 12 17:16:52 PST 2015

On 11/12/2015 03:47 PM, Johannes Mueller wrote:
> On Thursday 12 November 2015, 14:36:47 Robin Gareus wrote:
>> On 11/12/2015 01:02 PM, Johannes Mueller wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Looking at libs/surfaces/osc/osc.cc OSC::current_value I see that once
>>> upon a time ardour was signaling the transport state via OSC.
>>
>> Not "once upon a time"  but "in the glorious future".
>> It's a prototype to outline how someone who's interested could add it.
>>
>> all OSC::current_value() calls currently return the transport_frame
>> which is the same as the existing "/ardour/transport_frame" message does.
>>
>>> For some reason this
>>> stuff as well as the registering of the concerning callbacks is commented
>>> of ifed out.
>>>
>>> Is the reason for this still valid? What must happen to get the feature
>>> back?
>> It does not compile, nor was ever complete. Someone needs to step up an
>> do it. though looking at recent changes, the approach may not be the
>> right one.
>
> I am thinking about adding some stuff to the OSC communication of Ardour. So
> what are the recent changes that maybe make this approach not the right one?
> What would be a better one?

same as "/ardour/transport_frame" and OSC::transport_frame()

OSC::current_value() is based on the assumption that there's a lot of
common code with the goal to reduce code-duplication.

The easiest way to contribute is by github pull-requests. see also #28
at http://ardour.org/styleguide.html

Cheers!
robin