[Ardour-Dev] Ardour-Dev Digest, Vol 134, Issue 1

John Emmas johne53 at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Jun 6 03:10:25 PDT 2015

Hi Paul, I just noticed something puzzling in one of Patrick's earlier
emails...

On 05/06/2015 07:08, Patrick.Gilles Maillot wrote:
> in edit/preferences/control surfaces screen Ardour
> says:
> 	[...]
> 	Control surface ID: manually assigned [Note: Where???]
>
> Now what?
> There's no IP assignment for the control surface (needed for OSC which uses
> UDP), how does Ardour sets the IP for the control surface?
> There's no initialization function to enable communication to start. In the
> case of the X32, Ardour has to "register" with the X32 to get X32
> data/feedback on user actions on the X32. And that "registration" has to be
> renewed every ~10 seconds.
> Is there a file to create/edit to set the proper commands for faders,
> effects, routing, transport and others

I've never had a reason to delve into any OSC settings but just for the
hell of it, I also went to Edit->Preferences->Control Surfaces.  In my
case I see 3 options listed:-  Generic Midi, Mackie and OSC.  Underneath
the list there's some text saying "Double-click on a name to edit
settings for an enabled protocol".  In the case of Generic Midi or
Mackie, double-clicking will bring up a Settings window.  But if I
enable OSC and then double-click, nothing happens (although Ardour
subsequently crashes).  I know it's not relevant to Patrick's query but
presumably, the OSC option should also be bringing up a Settings window?

John