[Ardour-Dev] Ardour 4.0 rc3

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Apr 10 06:11:18 PDT 2015

A release candidate for the upcoming version 4.0 is now available on the
nightly site at

               http://nightly.ardour.org/

This message isn't going to describe all the changes in 4.0 - that will
wait for the official release - but we would like to ask more people to
check out this build and verify that we didn't miss anything really obvious.

A few quick points:

    * Yes, you can parallel install this as usual, along side any other
version of Ardour, whether
          it came from ardour.org or anywhere else.

     * There are builds for Linux, OS X and Windows

     * Only subscribers get access to the full, unrestricted binaries.

     * The free binaries have a different limitation than we've used in the
past. They now
           will save + restore plugin state normally, but they will go
silent after 10 minutes.
           You can ask for 5 minutes more, and so on. We made this change
to avoid
           people accidentally destroying valuable plugin settings while
testing the latest
           build to check for bug fixes.

     * Version 4 will not use the same configuration/preferences folder as
Version 3. It will offer
           to copy all relevant files from an Ardour 3.x
configuration/preferences folder when it
           starts up. If you decide to copy them, you'll have to restart
Ardour immediately after
           that.

     * As usual, there is no support for the Windows builds

If you test 4.0-rc3 with existing sessions, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make a
backup copy of the session first. We don't know of any remaining problems
when loading existing sessions, but we don't want our wonderful testers to
lose any important work. Your testing will help ensure that our conclusion
that 4.0 is ready is really correct.

It would be really great if more people could give 4.0-rc3 a spin and
verify that it installs and runs for them. We hope to release Ardour 4.0 in
a couple of days if there are no major issues reported.

thanks,
--p