[Ardour-Dev] LV2 Install Location on OSX

Chris Share cpsmusic at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 25 22:11:19 PST 2014

Thanks, that makes sense.
Cheers,
Chris

      From: Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org>
 To: Chris Share <cpsmusic at yahoo.com>
Cc: "ardour-dev at lists.ardour.org" <ardour-dev at lists.ardour.org>
 Sent: Wednesday, 26 November 2014, 15:05
 Subject: Re: [Ardour-Dev] LV2 Install Location on OSX

On 11/26/2014 04:13 AM, Chris Share wrote:

> Hi, Is there any reason why Ardour installs Reasonable Synth in its
> app bundle rather than the standard install locations such as
> /usr/local/lib/lv2 or /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LV2?

Hi Chris,

Ardour bundles (from ardour.org) are completely self-contained on all
platforms. They're relocatable and not bound to any system-wide file
hierarchy (except [start]menu / launcher symlinks).

You can have multiple versions of ardour installed in parallel
(/opt/Ardour-<Version>/... or in $HOME/..) each of which comes with an
un-install script. If ardour were to deploy files system-wide, things
would be much more complicated and unmaintainable.

Distributions shipping ardour can move it however. Ask your packager.

If you want a standalone version of that plugin get
https://github.com/x42/reasonablesynth.lv2 - pretty much the same thing
with a different URI. But really, the whole point of "reasonable synth"
is to address the issue of Ardour-Newbies complaining "I can't hear
MIDI". It's not really meant for anything serious. YMMV.

best,
robin