[Ardour-Dev] quick list of little bugs found during a 3-day recording session...

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Sun Jun 22 11:05:59 PDT 2014

hi everyone!

sorry for dumping this here rather than creating test cases and tickets, 
but i've got very little time right now and don't want to forget this... 
i'll write proper reports as time permits, and i certainly don't expect 
anyone to react on this.

not all issues are showstoppers, and some may be just be interesting to 

situation: studio session with lots of overdubs, many short regions, 
ardour3 *cairocanvas* branch from last thursday.

1. dragging a region sometimes does not work reliably: the region will 
not move. de-selecting and selecting it again usually fixes it, as does 
moving the playhead before trying again. doesn't happen every time, but 
at least one in 10.

2. ardour crashed sometimes when dragging a region onto another track 
and to another time. i realized i was running an optimized build, 
rebuilt with debugging symbols, bug fixed. doh. i think i have a core 
file somewhere, but without debugging symbols - is that any use?

3. ardour allows the slash "/" in track names, but this will then lead 
to a scary "system error" when you try to consolidate or bounce a 
region, because it will result in an illegal file name for the bounced 
region. renaming the track does not fix it, it is also necessary to 
rename the current playlist to get out of the situation.

4. jumping around with the "p" shortcut (playhead to mouse) while 
playing will cause a random offset in the click. stopping and starting 
will fix it.

5. deactivating a track that has an aux send will lead to the last 
buffer being repeated indefinitely on that aux send, rather than muting 
it. the problem is only evident if you have an open microphone or other 
sound source when you deactivate, otherwise you will get a silent buffer 
and no evident problem.

6. activating a track while playback is active will cause a random 
offset in the playback of said track. again, this is trivially fixed by 
stopping and starting the transport.

7. the mouse cursor sometimes changes to "zoom" even though i'm in 
"hand" mode. may this be related to a commit by paul a few days ago? i 
guess there is a placeholder icon for a new function, maybe this is it?

8. some library-related changes broke the installation. starting ardour 
with the "ardour3" shellscript gives "No Audio/MIDI backend... This 
should never happen.".

nettings at hoppetosse:/ardour-sessions> ldd 
	linux-vdso.so.1 (0x00007fffe15fe000)
	libardourcp.so.4 => not found
	libcanvas.so.0 => not found
	libardour.so.3 => not found
	libmidipp.so.4 => not found
	libevoral.so.0 => not found
	libaudiographer.so.0 => not found
	libgtkmm2ext.so.0 => not found
	libpbd.so.4 => not found
	libtimecode.so => not found

the workaround is to use ./ardev from gtk2_ardour, which fixes the 
library paths.

i guess that's it. yes, i'm stupid to run a paid gig on the cairocanvas 
branch, but i did have a known-good backup version handy. :)
apart from these glitches, ardour performed wonderfully, again.

all best,


Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio)
Tonmeister VDT


More information about the Ardour-Dev mailing list