[Ardour-Dev] Automation control point problem in A3

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Sat Feb 15 05:09:01 PST 2014

On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 7:35 AM, Jörn Nettingsmeier <
nettings at stackingdwarves.net> wrote:

> a problem with this is that you cannot easily create a point on an
> existing line (to "save" the previous level up to this point). what you
> have to do is click well outside of the existing automation line for a new
> point to spring up, and then create another point before that to restore
> the level up to that point. if you want to be exact, that usually requires
> zooming out to the previous point (which may be off-screen), hovering on it
> to read the value, and re-setting the new point accordingly. cumbersome.

But how often are you creating a single point on an existing line?  I find
if I am editing an existing line I am ALWAYS wanting to lower or raise a
section, not just add a fade in and immediate fade out (Or vice versa) so
in these cases I prefer to use the first method, click and drag to create
the range, and then click and drag to modify the value where it saves the
values before and after said range.

The only time I can think of where I, personally, actually want to enter a
single point is when I am drawing the automation manually (Not editing
existing automation) and don't care about the following values anyways.

           Seablade