[Ardour-Dev] zita-a2j and capture alignment

Ben Bell bjb-ardour-dev at deus.net
Tue Sep 10 06:19:07 PDT 2013

On Tue, Sep 10, 2013 at 01:05:20PM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Connect the same signal to the two cards, record two tracks simultaneously,
> one from each card.
>
> I'd expect the two resulting regions
>
> * to be in sync when played back,
> * to have different start/end points.
>
> assuming ardour uses the capture latency values to offset the regions.

I suppose I'd have expected that the regions would either be offset during
playback (which means essentially that the latency introduced at record time
becomes a property of the region, which kind of makes sense if you think that
you might shift it between tracks later) or to be padded at record start/stop
time (which is essentially an ugly approximation of the above). Otherwise
any editing you do that invoves snapping to grids is going to muck that
carefully adjusted latency offsetup.

But in any case, however the regions are actually aligned on the ardour
timeline, it seems wrong that whether or not group edit attachment (I need
a better term for this) is decided on an exact match of start and end time
of those regions if that is something that isn't necessarily a shared
property of two regions resulting from the same record operation.

What I end up having to do as a work around is trim the starts and ends of
the region manually to make them look the same, and then ardour catches
on and groups them as originally expected.

Presumably this is the case for non-hardware inputs too if they don't have
exactly the same latency -- e.g. tracks from two different soft synths?

bjb