[Ardour-Dev] zita-a2j and capture alignment

John Rigg ardev3 at jrigg.co.uk
Sat Sep 7 09:53:12 PDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 04:21:35PM +0100, Ben Bell wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 03:00:57PM +0000, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> > I'm surprised that pcm_multi creates such problems, what it does is
> > a lot simpler than what happens in a2j. If the cards are synced it
> > should just work.
> I believe there's a long standing issue with alsa todo with assuming that
> the interrupt on one card firing means that the buffers are ready on both
> cards. Something like that, but there's a long history of problems with
> it on this list and other places.

Yes. It triggers frequent xrun notifications in jack. This appears to be a
false alarm, as I've never had it affect the recorded audio in over 7 years
of regular use. I just make sure Ardour has the xrun marker checkbox
unchecked and otherwise ignore it.

The gory details are in a long thread on jack-devel from early December
2012 (started by Devin Anderson IIRC).

John