[Ardour-Dev] very significant merge in ardour git repository

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Sat Sep 7 06:48:43 PDT 2013

On Sat, Sep 7, 2013 at 5:56 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 01:48:01PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:
>
> > Specifically, it removes the explicit use of JACK from the codebase -
> > instead, JACK support is just another shared library that ardour can load
> > if the user requests it. It is now technically possible to create
> different
> > audio backends for Ardour that speak directly to the OS' underlying
> native
> > audio API (e.g. ALSA or CoreAudio), though the work involved in this is
> not
> > trivial. The work was done at the request of a commercial partner who
> plan
> > to provide various backends.
>
> So that means that you would connect a track input to e.g.
> 'input 17' using Ardours's connection dialog, instead of
> having a 'port' with a dedicated name (the track's name) ?

Nope. There are no changes (so far) to the semantics of ports and wiring
arising from this change. The goal was to make "native" audio I/O possible
(i.e. non-JACK), not to alter the basic port model that Ardour has
inherited from JACK (and that in some senses JACK originally inherited from
Ardour).

Changes like that might or might not happen later.