[Ardour-Dev] very significant merge in ardour git repository

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Sep 6 10:48:01 PDT 2013

Folks,

I have just merged the "audioengine" branch back into master. This branch
was under development for a bit more than a month, and represents some
significant architectural changes in Ardour.

Specifically, it removes the explicit use of JACK from the codebase -
instead, JACK support is just another shared library that ardour can load
if the user requests it. It is now technically possible to create different
audio backends for Ardour that speak directly to the OS' underlying native
audio API (e.g. ALSA or CoreAudio), though the work involved in this is not
trivial. The work was done at the request of a commercial partner who plan
to provide various backends.

The branch had a moderate level of testing. The only real difference that
users will/should see is the dialog offered by Ardour if JACK is not
already running, and this is the one area where remaining work is expected.
There will also be a few UI changes to come (the "JACK" menu item will be
removed and an Audio/MIDI setup dialog will be available elsewhere).

I have merged into the master branch so that we can get some more testing
done to confirm that this hasn't broken anything. Please use this mailing
list to report issues for the time being (or IRC)

regards,
--p