[Ardour-Dev] Osc and control surface

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Mar 20 12:57:40 PDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 3:36 PM, Johan Blomé <johan at gunhildcarling.net>wrote:

> Hello
> I have a Roland M400 mixer which I want to use a control surface for
> Ardour.
> I have written a small osc proxy program translating osc calls to sysex
> (which the mixer uses) and vice verse.
> This program listens to udp on a local port and sends on the same or
> another port.

this seems a bit silly. Ardour3 supports device specific MIDI binding maps
in which you could specify the sysex messages and what they control (mostly)

> My main problem is that Ardour is only capable of communicating to the
> same port as it have received a osc call which means that both Ardour and
> my osc bridge needs to listen to the same port on localhost.

no, this is not true. ardour listens on 3818 by default., your app opens up
a random UDP port and sends to 3818. ardour finds out where your app is,
and replies to it.

or maybe i am misunderstanding.

A small note to Paul who answered my last mail which I send to the wrong
> mailing list:
> The generic midiinterface is not working for me, I do not know why. I can
> see the sysex going to "MIDI control in" but nothing is happening.

generic MIDI means !sysex

you need a binding map:
http://www.manual.ardour.org/using-control-surfaces/midi-binding-maps/