[Ardour-Dev] Ardour3 on Mac OS X

Horst Birthelmer horst at birthelmer.de
Wed Mar 20 13:23:24 PDT 2013

Hello,

I've been on the list for quite some time now but never had anything that important to say …
but then I read the announcement that Ardour3 is released.
I built it on linux and mac os x 10.8.2 (mountain lion).
It was actually quite easy with the provided scripts (I have to say I'm a software engineer, so building software and porting it to other platforms is what I do). Thank you all, for those scripts.

However, I just encountered some very strange behaviour afterwards on the mac. Please don't see this as any complaining, it's not supposed to be that. It's just that I don't have any explanation and I thought maybe somebody could point me in the right direction.

I have a more exotic collection of plugins on my mac they're not working on my linux box, so I didn't notice it there when I tested Ardour3 there.

1. I noticed that Altiverb from AudioEase will not process anything but it loads fine and I can select IRs. It just does not sound on the channel I put it on. It is as if it's bypassed all the time even though it's not.

2. There are plugins like the Focusrite LiquidMix that does not show up in the list at all, as well as some other plugins I don't use that often.
My question is: Did anything major change in the parts of the code for AU plugins since all the plugins I mentioned work fine in Ardour2 and Mixbus.

3. alt+M does not toggle between Mix and Edit window, which was just unusual for me on the mac since I'm pretty used to Mixbus and Ardour2. On Linux I change between the windows with Alt+Tab so that's not a 'problem' there. Is that correct or is it a bug?

Thanks for your time!

Horst