[Ardour-Dev] Fwd: [Ardour-Cvs] Ardour source branch meterbridge updated. 3.2-153-gf885622

Axel 'the C.L.A.' Müller axel-mueller-74 at web.de
Sat Jul 6 15:41:28 PDT 2013

On Sat, 06 Jul 2013 22:48:48 +0200
Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings at stackingdwarves.net> wrote:

> fwiw, the current implementation in ardour is not foolproof either:
> when i overload my micstasies, the peak indicator will show 0.0dB but
> not turn red, so i've learned to look for the numbers rather than the
> color. of course, it could also be that the preamp does not ever deliver
> fullscale for some reason...

...wich is a good reason for having an arbitrary configurable level for
triggering the clip indicator (during recording) - working around
hardware limitations (or features), warning if a preferred peak level
is exceeded, etc...

As allready discussed on IRC it might be useful to have different
settings for different places in the signal chain - lower/arbitrary
level for metering input signals ("in" meter point), simple 0 dBFS
detection on channels and buses when mixing (pre/post meter point),
oversampled peak meter on the master for capturing inter-sample peaks
and so on.