[Ardour-Dev] Ardour3 on Mac OS X

Elie Richa eliericha at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 13:02:51 PDT 2013

Hello,

Thank you all for your feedback.

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 12:44 AM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Elie Richa <eliericha at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 9:23 PM, Horst Birthelmer <horst at birthelmer.de>wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've been on the list for quite some time now but never had anything
>>> that important to say …
>>> but then I read the announcement that Ardour3 is released.
>>> I built it on linux and mac os x 10.8.2 (mountain lion).
>>> It was actually quite easy with the provided scripts (I have to say I'm
>>> a software engineer, so building software and porting it to other platforms
>>> is what I do). Thank you all, for those scripts.
>>>

>> I've been trying to build Ardour3 on Mac OS X 10.7.4 and I'm running into
>> problems, so I was hoping you could give me some pointers since you've
>> managed to go through it.
>>
>> I'm still at the stage of building the dependencies listed at
>> http://ardour.org/current_dependencies.html
>> I've started with the modified versions of libraries, and I'm currently
>> stuck with gtk+.
>>

>  [ ... ]
>

>>  I'm using the latest Xcode (4.6.1) and the compiler that shipped with
>> it.
>> i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build
>> 5658) (LLVM build 2336.11.00)
>>
>> Did you encounter such a problem?
>>

> No. I am using:
>
>    i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build
> 5658) (LLVM build 2336.9.00)
>
> so almost the same compiler precisely. And I am on 10.7.5 so we're pretty
> close there too.
>
>  i suspect it is your build environment, but  I have no clue what aspect
> of it. I've put too much time into trying to make this "always" work to do
> much more, sorry.

Yeah I understand. But thanks for the compiler info. Now I know the problem
is not there.

> when I get a chance, i will check over the state of the relocation patch
> agan. not sure when that will be.
>
> For the rest of the (non-modified) dependencies, I've found most of them
>> on MacPorts.
>> Can I install them this way or is MacPorts absolutely forbidden?
>>

> it will make your system almost impossible to develop on. or rather, it
> may. and you won't know till it goes wrong, at which time cleaning it up
> will/may be hard.

Since I started using MacPorts I gave it a dedicated prefix, so in theory I
should be able to remove its interference by removing it from environment
variables (or am I too optimist? ;). I'll try that and see if it helps.

Cheers,
Elie