[Ardour-Dev] Ardour3 on Mac OS X

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Apr 4 15:44:40 PDT 2013

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 6:15 PM, Elie Richa <eliericha at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at 9:23 PM, Horst Birthelmer <horst at birthelmer.de>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've been on the list for quite some time now but never had anything that
>> important to say …
>> but then I read the announcement that Ardour3 is released.
>> I built it on linux and mac os x 10.8.2 (mountain lion).
>> It was actually quite easy with the provided scripts (I have to say I'm a
>> software engineer, so building software and porting it to other platforms
>> is what I do). Thank you all, for those scripts.
>>

> I've been trying to build Ardour3 on Mac OS X 10.7.4 and I'm running into
> problems, so I was hoping you could give me some pointers since you've
> managed to go through it.
>
> I'm still at the stage of building the dependencies listed at
> http://ardour.org/current_dependencies.html
> I've started with the modified versions of libraries, and I'm currently
> stuck with gtk+.

 [ ... ]

> I'm using the latest Xcode (4.6.1) and the compiler that shipped with it.
> i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build
> 5658) (LLVM build 2336.11.00)
>
> Did you encounter such a problem?

No. I am using:

   i686-apple-darwin11-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc. build
5658) (LLVM build 2336.9.00)

so almost the same compiler precisely. And I am on 10.7.5 so we're pretty
close there too.

 i suspect it is your build environment, but  I have no clue what aspect of
it. I've put too much time into trying to make this "always" work to do
much more, sorry.

when I get a chance, i will check over the state of the relocation patch
agan. not sure when that will be.

For the rest of the (non-modified) dependencies, I've found most of them on
> MacPorts.
> Can I install them this way or is MacPorts absolutely forbidden?

it will make your system almost impossible to develop on. or rather, it
may. and you won't know till it goes wrong, at which time cleaning it up
will/may be hard.