[Ardour-Dev] Wiimote support porting to Ardour 3

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sat Sep 8 08:24:21 PDT 2012

Hi folks,

I'm currently working on making the Wiimote support compile again
against Ardour 3. Since the implementation in libs/surfaces/wiimote is
quite old, I'm also making an attempt to port it to AbstractUI in order
to get rid of the custom threading code.

After some initial confusion about threads in Ardour, I got it working
quite nicely, apart from a bug (more below). The changes can be viewed
in a temporary repository on GitHub:

https://github.com/Jannis/ardour3/compare/master...jannis;fix-wiimote-support

It's working flawlessly apart from freezing Ardour caused by calling
close() in ~WiimoteControlProtocol(). My guess is that BaseUI::quit()
tries to join the Wiimote thread but that never finishes, but I haven't
investigated any further. Any ideas?

Once that is fixed, I would like to propose this for inclusion in
Ardour 3. How would we go about handling that (in what form do you
want the patches, would it be possible to get commit access to maintain
the Wiimote code properly etc.)?

@Sampo: The .cc/.h files currently don't have any license headers.
Would it be ok to add GPLv2 headers and list you, me and whoever else
contributed with appropriate copyright years?

I'm available for feedback on IRC (nick: JPohlmann) as well.

Regards,
Jannis