[Ardour-Dev] Ardour Timecode

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 22:04:06 PDT 2012

No that's correct. Remember that NTSC is an analog format. Back when they
changed over from black and white (plain 30 fps) to color, they wanted to
maintain compatibility with old devices, so the color signal has the time base
slightly shifted to 1 + 1/1000 second. Just enough so that both signal types
could by broadcast over top of each other without interfearing.

Dropframe is just a convention for the timecode, not for the actual frame
rate. The time code drifts from the actual frame count and then drops a
timecode frame every 10 min to re-sync.

How the best way should be to represent that in the digital domain has been
the source of many arguments. :-D Most editors lock to the DF timing. But then
after the content is rendered and played out for broadcast, it's played out at
the 30/1.001 rate. But that leaves audio (especially digital audio) up in the
air because that tiny difference is not so insignificant for audio that is
sampled at 48k+. You can fudge the video timestamps at 30fps without really
causing problems for video, but doing that with the audio has potentual to
cause cracking sounds.

When analog and digital worlds collide, it's a PITA.

Perhaps some of that was addressed in the new ATSC spec...

-Reuben