[Ardour-Dev] A couple of ideas (mostly sequencer)

Alexandre Prokoudine alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 05:45:31 PST 2012

Exactly, and I never said I liked editing of automation in Ardour :)

> "How many tracks do you think you will be able to work on simultaneously
> when each one has a automation timeline below?"
>
> Wait... they do! How is it solved? It can be hidden. Same would work for
> controllers, too, I assume.

That doesn't magically solve the problem with screen estate when you
edit stuff _simulatneously_ :)

>> That, and also the fact that you have to scroll the screen with your
>> own eyes up and down all the time just to edit anything. I'd like to
>> have a better use for my eyes, thank you so very much :)
>
> Did you read the proposal completely? I did not ask for the coloring of
> notes according to velocity to removed.

Um, did you read what you are commenting on? I did not even mention
colouring of notes :) I fact, I did not even mean it.

> So, saying "no" is easy. You think to offer full control over all
> controllers only below is too much for your eyes? How else would you go
> about it?

Draw them on overlays which is what Logic Audio does since mid-90s.

> I would neither want to clutter the timeline (in which, I agree, is
> still plenty of room and colors to be made use of) with half a dozen
> controller values, either.
>
> I think offering controller data, aligned with the notes, below the
> piano roll (one controller at a time) is a fine solution.
>
> Suggestion: Why do you not tell us what problems you have with the
> approach taken in, say, qTractor and how you would solve it?

Funny that you mention Qtractor which actually allows choosing what
automation controller you'd be editing in a _overlay_ :) And you don't
even have dozens of automation lines fighting for pixels on your
display. Amazing, isn't it? :)

Alexandre Prokoudine
http://libregraphicsworld.org