[Ardour-Dev] ardour SVN repository "down" for now

Adam Spiers ardour at adamspiers.org
Wed Dec 12 06:46:11 PST 2012

On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 11:06 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 6:02 PM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
>> On Dec 6, 2012, at 11:54 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
>> > Something bad happened on the machine at dreamhost that hosts the Ardour
>> > SVN repository. For now, the repository is stuck at revision 13605.
>> >
>> > Repairs will be forthcoming once we find out what happened.
>>
>> sounds like a good opportunity to switch to git. no single point of
>> failure.
>
> that took you less time to say than i was anticipating.

:-)

> lets wait and see what DH says first :) switching to git right now is just
> an extra roadblock ...

Forgive me if I'm preaching to the choir, but I'm strongly in favour
of such a switch for many reasons, but especially because it would
make it much easier for me to occasionally contribute.  github's
fork-and-submit-pull-request model is absolutely fantastic for this:

    https://help.github.com/articles/using-pull-requests

It also gives a great mechanism for peer code reviews for free.

>From past experience, git-svn makes it extremely easy to switch and
even maintain the old svn repository in parallel for a while if
necessary.

> and i'd rather switch *from* an up to date svn repo
> than the current state.

That makes sense for sure ;-)