[Ardour-Dev] building A3 on OSX; patches

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Nov 29 07:40:59 PST 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 10:27 AM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
> On 11/29/2011 03:50 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> [..]
>> excellent point. i'd prefer something that, rather than removing AU
>> support, removed Carbon AU support. i wonder how complex that is.
>
> libs/ardour/audio_unit.cc is using Carbon which has 64bit support.

in ways that are now deprecated.

> It is _quartz_ holding back the 64bit build. Only
> gtk2_ardour/au_pluginui.mm needs to be rewritten or removed.

it just needs to be optional to support Carbon GUIs. AU's can provide
no GUI, a Carbon GUI, or a Cocoa GUI (actually, they can supply
multiples of either of the last two). if they provide none, the AU
framework will cook up a Cocoa GUI for the plugin. more and more
plugins come with cocoa gui's but a few hang on to carbon (most are
changing). we can simply #ifdef the au_pluginui.mm source to drop
support for Carbon and ask for a generic GUI from the AU framework.

> Now that I've got AU support working, I'll see if I can modify my
> patches to build a 64bit version w/ AU Support but w/o AU-GUI.

as noted above, not necessary. carbon-au-gui is the only issue.

> I'll report back later. These >1 hour compile time after modifying
> compiler flags causes flashbacks. Though waf is better in many ways,
> for quick tests as such: autotools is much easier to subvert. Any hints
> on how to override waf's dependency system are welcomed.

my recommended approach:
cat /proc/cpuinfo | egrep '(model|MHz)'
model		: 10
model name	: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor
cpu MHz		: 3612.568
model		: 10
model name	: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor
cpu MHz		: 3612.568
model		: 10
model name	: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor
cpu MHz		: 3612.568
model		: 10
model name	: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor
cpu MHz		: 3612.568
model		: 10
model name	: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor
cpu MHz		: 3612.568
model		: 10
model name	: AMD Phenom(tm) II X6 1090T Processor
cpu MHz		: 3612.568

:))

> The Carbon Event mgr calls? Why? Just include <Carbon/Carbon.h>; that
> should be good until there's gtk+4.0 with Cocoa backend and APPLE
> deprecates Cocoa :-)

gtk is already cocoa almost entirely. i've done some work on removing
the vestigial bits of carbon it still uses; what's left is "deprecated
but, uh ... yeah, we haven't come up with a replacement yet" by apple.

we shouldn't be using carbon at all in ardour, at least as an option
(--no-carbon or something)