[Ardour-Dev] Non-freewheeling export mode in Ardour 3?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sat Nov 19 05:38:59 PST 2011

On 11/01/2011 12:33 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 7:29 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine
> <alexandre.prokoudine at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>>
>>> sounds like you want a jack-transport enabled recording utility. i
>>> can't remember if jack_capture can do this, but it would not be hard
>>> to modify it to do so.

As others already pointed out: it can. However: I don't think it
compensates for port latency [1]. The start-position of the file
recorded with jack-capture might be off compared to the file exported
from ardour.

[1] A quick `grep` over jack-capture-0.9.61's source does not reveal any
jack_port_get_*latency() calls.

>> Just use http://sourceforge.net/p/qjackrcd/home/Home/ :)

Note that qjackrcd by default waits for the audio-volume to exceed a
given threshold; it is also stereo only.

> ah, yet another app that does disk i/o from inside the process
> callback ... nice :(

I was in touch with upstream and qjackrcd got fixed WRT to non-realtime
safe calls in the process callback. It is still a very young project so
give it some leeway; it is shaping up nicely.

ciao,
robin