[Ardour-Dev] Non-freewheeling export mode in Ardour 3?

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Tue Nov 1 09:17:03 PDT 2011

On 11/01/2011 11:58 AM, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 01, 2011 at 10:23:29AM +0100, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>
>> On 11/01/2011 10:14 AM, Leigh Dyer wrote:
>>
>>> I was wondering if there's an option in Ardour 3 somewhere to have it
>>> export without using JACK freewheeling mode. This would be very handy in
>>> a bunch of cases: when working with hardware synths or running audio
>>> through hardware effects, using ALSA MIDI softsynths via a2jmidid, using
>>> plugins or apps that are unreliable in freewheeling mode (like
>>> jconvolver/IR), etc.
>>
>> ++
>>
>> although btw fons claims to have fixed the freewheeling issue in the
>> latest release. i haven't managed to test it yet, though.
>
> Indeed that has been fixed.
>
> But what would be the difference with just recording the signals you
> want to export on a new track ? In particular if you could request any
> track to use a multichannel file format ? The latter seems to be the
> thing to ask for.

well, from an ardour2 POV, not much, but the a3 export is only inches
away from being totally awesome, so it would be nice to harness that
power for real-time playouts.
a3 already allows pretty much arbitrary multichannel exports in
different formats at the same time, the only thing it can't do (yet) is
export different mixes, such as 5.1 plus stereo fold-down.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net