[Ardour-Dev] No delay compensation for insert

Wayne wayne at in-giro.org
Fri Jun 24 03:10:27 PDT 2011

Il giorno gio, 23/06/2011 alle 23.20 -0400, Thomas Vecchione ha
scritto:

> Ok going to take very quick stabs at these but keep in mind I haven't
> had sleep in about 40 hours or so now...
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 7:47 PM, Reuben Martin <reuben.m at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I ran into an issue today which, in the process of trying to work around it, turned up more issues... (Isn't that always the way it goes
> > ;-)
> >

> > I have an insert in ardour that is causing a fair amount of delay, and the insert dialog seems to be able to measure the delay easily
> > enough, but it is still off. I tried to insert the "artificial latency" plugin to work around it and found that it does not work. Which in turn
> > makes me wonder, does ardour use that plugin to deal with delay compensation or does it roll its own delay internally? The LV2
> > version of the same plugin is no better BTW.
>
> Are you by chance inserting the plugin on a bus instead of a track?
> Busses do not have any delay compensation.

    is this true for Ardour 3 as well (i.e. that buses have no
delay/latency compensation)?  this would explain a lot.  i did not
realize this, as almost all my plugins are bus, not track, inserts with
Ardour 2: usually every "logical track" i realize in 2 actual tracks and
1 bus: 1 track for takes, 1 track for combining takes into finished
collection of takes, while both tracks are routed through a bus which
has all effects/sends/etc.

    thanks.

http://wayne.in-giro.org