[Ardour-Dev] session migration 2.x -> 3.x and current 3.x session format

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Wed Sep 22 11:03:33 PDT 2010

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 1:54 PM, Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> How frozen is the current (r7832) ardour3 session format?

there is one possible change scheduled before its declared frozen. it
will cover automation data.

> In a message on this list from Nov 19, 2008 Paul Davis wrote:
> "3.0 will open most 2.0 files but the reverse will never be true."
>
> Is that 'most' quantifiable? fi. known issues or edge-cases that won't
> be fixed in a foreseeable time-frame.
>
> I realize that a definitive answer is impossible, but an educated guess
> would be nice.

this is an area where experimental science is required. we don't
believe that there are features of 2.X that we missed, but we suspect
there are.

carl has been extraordinarily active in fixing reported problems (via
mantis) with 2.X session loading, with occasional help from myself and
lincoln spiteri.