[Ardour-Dev] Some editing hints wanted

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Thu Sep 16 07:56:11 PDT 2010

On 09/13/2010 10:34 PM, fons at kokkinizita.net wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm wondering what is the recommended way to the following kind
> of editing.
>
> I have a number of takes of the same piece, all together about
> an hour of recording. There are multiple tracks, some of them
> also multichannel. The final version consists of bits and pieces
> of those takes spliced together.
>
> The basic operation consists of
>
> 1. extracting those pieces,
> 2. moving them somewhere (the end of the session) in the right order,
> 3. splicing then together so the transitions won't be noticed.

i'm assuming it's classical music and hence no sync between multiple takes?

sometimes, when i have multiple takes all synced to the same basic
track, i either move each take to its own track while i'm deciding what
goes in, and use splits and trims to get rid of botched material.

sometimes, i also make 4 tracks ("trash", "ah, well", "nice" and
"brilliant") and sort takes before the actual editing begins. of course,
that should really happen during the session, but often doesn't, when
it's a one-man job without a proper monitoring setup...

> (1) should be done without modifying the original - other
> pieces from it may be required later. The only way I know
> to do this ATM is:
>
> - split the regions at the required begin and end points,
> - move the selected part to the end,
> - move back to the original place,
> - delete the 'right' part,
> - extend the 'left' part to the original end of region.

moving to the end for this is tedious . create a second set of tracks
for your edited version (unless you don't want to have two sets of eqs
and other plugins whose settings could go out of sync...)

> This is quite tedious, in particular as each step also
> requires selecting all tracks, making sure they dont move
> relative to each other, etc. The last three steps are
> required only to undo the unwanted side effect of the first.

as paul said, i find edit groups to be the bee's knees.

> Some other points I haven't been able to find answers for:
>
> - Putting a location marker is bound to KP-Enter. Unfortunately
>    you don't have that on a laptop. The Keybindings window does
>    not list this action (I expected it under 'Transport'). My
>    ~/.ardour2 does apparently not have a file that defines the
>    keybindings. How can this be modified ?

open the menu, hover over the option with the mouse, press the new key.
i usually bind "new marker from playhead" to "M", because it's probably
the most-used feature when i record :)

> - It it possible to have markers that stay at the same point of
>    a region when that region is moved ?

that would be sweet indeed. in some cases (probably not in yours), using
"lock edit" mode and moving stuff vertically (i.e. to new tracks) rather
than horizontally will help to retain meaningful markers up to some point.

best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Meister für Veranstaltungstechnik (Bühne/Studio), Elektrofachkraft
Audio and event engineer - Ambisonic surround recordings

http://stackingdwarves.net