[Ardour-Dev] Some editing hints wanted

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Sep 13 14:18:11 PDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 4:34 PM,  <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm wondering what is the recommended way to the following kind
> of editing.
>
> I have a number of takes of the same piece, all together about
> an hour of recording. There are multiple tracks, some of them
> also multichannel. The final version consists of bits and pieces
> of those takes spliced together.
>
> The basic operation consists of
>
> 1. extracting those pieces,
> 2. moving them somewhere (the end of the session) in the right order,
> 3. splicing then together so the transitions won't be noticed.
>
> (1) should be done without modifying the original - other
> pieces from it may be required later. The only way I know
> to do this ATM is:
>
> - split the regions at the required begin and end points,
> - move the selected part to the end,
> - move back to the original place,
> - delete the 'right' part,
> - extend the 'left' part to the original end of region.
>
> This is quite tedious, in particular as each step also
> requires selecting all tracks, making sure they dont move
> relative to each other, etc. The last three steps are
> required only to undo the unwanted side effect of the first.

put all the tracks into an edit group, activate the group. if this was
a simultaneous multitrack recording, all the right things should
happen - selecting one region in 1 track will select them all.
splitting will occur across the edit group. moving will occur
together, etc.

it also sounds as if it would be easier to make a range selection with
the range tool ("r"), then use Ctrl-c and Ctrl-v to just paste a copy
of it at the edit point. the range selection will be applied to all
selected tracks, as will the copy & paste operations.

> - It it possible to have markers that stay at the same point of
>  a region when that region is moved ?

the closest existing feature to that is a region sync point, which is
not a market, but a property of the region. it defines the point in
the region that will be used when carrying out an align operation.
this may not be useful to you for this task.