[Ardour-Dev] rfc: proposed feature to prevent accidental overwriting of automation

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Wed Sep 8 09:14:09 PDT 2010

hi *!

it frequently happens to me that i forget to switch back from automation
write to play after editing or recording automation events.
this forum post (http://ardour.org/node/3817) shows that i'm not alone :)

maybe it could be useful to add a master automation write button to
ardour. it would work like the big red record switch. this would change
the meaning of the automation buttons from "write" to "arm for writing",
similar to the behaviour of the track arming buttons for recording. by
itself, this wouldn't solve my stupidity issue, but it could be combined
with an option to quit automation record mode at transport stop. a
similar option exists for audio recording iirc.

if anybody else thinks it's useful, i'll file a feature request for a3.

best,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier