[Ardour-Dev] a3: Various feedback

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Nov 1 22:21:43 PDT 2010

On Mon, November 1, 2010 9:40 pm, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> On Mon, November 1, 2010 9:17 pm, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Here's some feedback from using the latest svn version of ardour3. You
>> probably are aware of most of these already but I'm not sure how many
>> people are reporting these issues atm.
>>
>> 1: Ogg export doesn't work for me. Causes segv
>> 2: Saving a preset caused the export dialog to segv. Deleting it solved
>> the problem. Formats are working though.
>> 3: Normalise does weird things to the middle-high end. Definitely boosts
>> the lower end.
>> 4: Cannot copy and paste multiple regions without them getting
>> overlapped.
>> 5: Can drag and drop multiple regions with no problem.
>> 6: Have seen some of my automation settings get dropped between crashes.
>> Results in some wasted time but not a major hassle as it is pretty
>> obvious
>> when they are missing. The actual result is the curve gets set to zero
>> for
>> some reason. Would be a major hassle on fiddly sections with a lot of
>> work
>> done on them. Suggest this could be a priority bug.
>> 7: Accidentally duplicating a very large number of regions caused some
>> strange behaviour after the duplication process was finished. Restarting
>> then deleting the regions fixed the issue.
>> 8: Start and End points are not always saved between crashes. Minor
>> hassle.
>> 9: Cannot stretched and already stretched region. That one was a little
>> confusing. Maybe a popup would help there.
>> 10: Had some funky behaviour with the select/copy tool which doesn't
>> seem
>> to have any real logic. Comes and goes between sessions. Hard to
>> replicate
>> and confusing to workaround.
>>

> 11: Sometimes the track heights get modified without my intentional
> action. I'm not sure if it is between restarts or after a period of not
> using it but it is kind of strange behaviour.
>
>> I haven't done any work with the midi features. Otherwise my overall
>> experience is very positive and I have been able to get a lot done over
>> the past week and had fun while doing it. So BIGUPS!!!! for the team.
>>
>> FYI, I have had ardour3 running 24 hours/day for the past week and have
>> only experienced a couple of issues with jack and a few with PA. They
>> seem
>> to be related to switching between workspaces. Restarting jack/PA or the
>> whole stack immediately resolves the problem and I have not had to
>> reboot
>> once.

I forgot to add. There are a few features which I miss that would assist
with my personal workflow in the latest ardour3.

1: Master waveform display
2: Region/selection specific automation settings.
3: Group selected area. Similar to the group button in inkscape.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.

"ZPE is not about creating something from nothing: It is about using the
zero point of a wave as a means to transform other forms of potential
energy like magnetic flux, heat, or particle spin into usable energy in
such a way that entropy appears to be reversed."