[Ardour-Dev] a3: Various feedback

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Nov 1 21:17:03 PDT 2010

Hi,

Here's some feedback from using the latest svn version of ardour3. You
probably are aware of most of these already but I'm not sure how many
people are reporting these issues atm.

1: Ogg export doesn't work for me. Causes segv
2: Saving a preset caused the export dialog to segv. Deleting it solved
the problem. Formats are working though.
3: Normalise does weird things to the middle-high end. Definitely boosts
the lower end.
4: Cannot copy and paste multiple regions without them getting overlapped.
5: Can drag and drop multiple regions with no problem.
6: Have seen some of my automation settings get dropped between crashes.
Results in some wasted time but not a major hassle as it is pretty obvious
when they are missing. The actual result is the curve gets set to zero for
some reason. Would be a major hassle on fiddly sections with a lot of work
done on them. Suggest this could be a priority bug.
7: Accidentally duplicating a very large number of regions caused some
strange behaviour after the duplication process was finished. Restarting
then deleting the regions fixed the issue.
8: Start and End points are not always saved between crashes. Minor hassle.
9: Cannot stretched and already stretched region. That one was a little
confusing. Maybe a popup would help there.
10: Had some funky behaviour with the select/copy tool which doesn't seem
to have any real logic. Comes and goes between sessions. Hard to replicate
and confusing to workaround.

I haven't done any work with the midi features. Otherwise my overall
experience is very positive and I have been able to get a lot done over
the past week and had fun while doing it. So BIGUPS!!!! for the team.

FYI, I have had ardour3 running 24 hours/day for the past week and have
only experienced a couple of issues with jack and a few with PA. They seem
to be related to switching between workspaces. Restarting jack/PA or the
whole stack immediately resolves the problem and I have not had to reboot
once.

Cheers.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.

"ZPE is not about creating something from nothing: It is about using the
zero point of a wave as a means to transform other forms of potential
energy like magnetic flux, heat, or particle spin into usable energy in
such a way that entropy appears to be reversed."