[Ardour-Dev] ardour3 video timeline

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Jun 28 18:54:56 PDT 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 9:33 PM, Patrick Shirkey
<pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
> It seems that he has solved these 2 items in relation to the ruler display
> area.
>
> What I am missing is the specifics on what is different between the ruler
> section and the edit section and why the rulers can't be dropped randomly
> anywhere on the edit canvas.
>
> Am I correct that the ruler is drawn on top of the edit canvas? or is it a
> seperate ruler canvas?

the rulers are just packed into container above the track canvas.

> Is it simply that the ruler widgets are not able to be drawn in the edit
> canvas because they are widgets and not canvas items?

that's a true statement. it used to be that we had a separate canvas
for the marker bars so that we could scroll the tracks vertically
independently of the timeline. but the rulers are widgets packed into
a container above the canvas.

but nick mainsbridge did some great work on canvas scrolling so that
it is done by moving a whole group of items rather than "actually"
scrolling the canvas itself. this enabled him to put the marker bars
onto the canvas, but the widget-ish nature of the rulers keep them off
on their own.