[Ardour-Dev] ardour3 video timeline

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Mon Jun 28 06:19:30 PDT 2010

On 06/28/2010 11:05 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey at boosthardware.com>  wrote:
>

>> I'm wondering what is so difficult about dropping the code that displays the
>> video timeline into a track/bus widget. Surely it accepts any child widget
>> that we can throw at it within reason? Or is it a custom widget that has
>> been hard coded to accept only bus and track widgets?
>>
> The editor display is primarily a canvas. The canvas is not a
> "container of widgets".

Thanks for the quick explanation. Is that primarily to enable
functionality like multi track drag/select/cut/paste etc... ?

How is each track/bus drawn and positional info retained? Is there the
equivalent of parent->child relationship between the canvas and the
individual track/bus?

Couldn't the code that handles displaying an audio/midi track/bus be
extended to allow any "child" track/bus type?

I guess I'm wondering about the logic behind making the editor canvas
inflexible in this regard.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd