[Ardour-Dev] ardour as audio backend

Harry Van Haaren harryhaaren at gmail.com
Sat Jul 24 14:53:01 PDT 2010

On Sat, Jul 24, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Evan Laforge <qdunkan at gmail.com> wrote:

> For the last couple of years I've been working on a music sequencer.  It's
> only concerned with writing music, and so it has no ability to deal with
> sound
> at all.  It simply transforms a user written high level score into a lower
> level format, which currently means MIDI.

Hey Evan,

Disclaimer: I'm not an Ardour dev, so take what I say with a pinch of salt
please.

1: Are you aware that Ardour3 supports MIDI tracks? Ie, you can click in
notes, edit the durations, set the channels etc etc
2: There's a lot of MIDI sequencers out there that will playback MIDI, and
have no synths at all: Seq24 for instance. As you said, "come up with some
solution of your own". If you output JACK MIDI, I'm happy.
3: I (as a user now) would prefer to have a nice standalone MIDI seq, than
one that 1/2 leans on Ardour as I don't use Ardour in the sequencing stage
of my projects.

Have you released the sources? I'd be intrested in building it...? I'm on
linux though, I gather your on a Mac. Has testing been done on a linux box?

Cheers, -Harry