[Ardour-Dev] Video and Ardour and Jack

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Tue Jul 20 14:07:22 PDT 2010

On 07/20/2010 10:30 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 4:25 PM, David Nielson <naptastic at comcast.net> wrote:
>> If we're serious about having the conversation about video coming into play
>> with Ardour and Jack, we need to be talking about the 802.1 AVB protocol. A
>> full implementation would obviate both Netjack and Jacktrip, AND solve the
>> problem of synchronization between disparate sample clocks.  I believe the
>> standard also defines video transfer over 802.3 (Ethernet) networks, so much
>> of the hard work of choosing a "language" for video transport is already
>> done for us.
>
> this is all totally independent of Ardour and JACK AFAICT, in the same
> way that neither Ardour nor JACK knows anything about sample clock,
> blackburst, S/PDIF, ADAT or MADI.
>
> the issues that related to a "VideoJACK" are still unsolved by AVB.
>
> AVB looks pretty cool and promises lots of greatness but i'm missing
> how it affects ardour & JACK ...
>
> --p

me too. Could you please elaborate?

AFAIK 802.1 AVB is basically a transport-layer protocol for streaming
audio/video over Ethernet.

It could be used as JACK-backend or maybe to send the output of the
video-monitor-window to somewhere else.

If we dream one step further: not just make a video-NLE but a
live-video-mixer it will come in handy for I/O.

Anyway the AVB protocol would need to be implemented in the kernel
(similar to ALSA), not by a user-space app, would it not?

robin