[Ardour-Dev] ardour sessions and write permissions

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Sep 25 09:12:04 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at kokkinizita.net> wrote:
> Read-only sessions are somthing I want badly as well.
>
> I things can be modified but not saved that would be
> perfectly acceptable to me. What could go wrong if
> you just allow a session to start without write
> access ? Does Ardour depend on being able to write
> as long as you don't save or record ?

it doesn't depend on it for functionality, but it does have the
assumption at present that you have write permission for the session
file, the "instant.xml" file and potentially the session directory.

there has been a feature request for this in mantis for at least 3 or
4 years, and i agree that it would be useful. don's patch is a quick
fix for those who really need it, but doing it correctly will involve
a bit more work. we basically need to discover whether we have write
access when we open the session, set some session-wide flag, and obey
that flag both when opening files and when potentially saving state.
its not huge.