[Ardour-Dev] Trouble with imported files

Fons Adriaensen fons at kokkinizita.net
Sat Mar 21 16:58:00 PDT 2009

On Sat, Mar 21, 2009 at 06:56:34PM -0400, Paul Davis wrote:

> How do we know that the new file is long enough? The right sample rate? We
> don't check these things every time we open a file, because our assumptions
> are that we did that when the file was first added to the session.

If that is really a problem, you should refuse to import
files that can't be hard-linked. But since you accept
these, the implicit assumption seems to be that it is
the user's responsability to ensure that the external
file remains usable (and available).

> The hard link was/is there to ensure that whatever
> you did to the "original", the version you added to
> the Ardour session lives on.

If I wanted that, I would have Ardour copy it into
the session.

> As I said at the outset, I agree with you that the current behaviour can
> cause confusion. Removing it, however, requires that we institute format &
> size checks on every file every time we open it.

See above, if you allow imported files that can't be
hard linked, which is the case, you either have to do
those checks anyway, or admit they are not necessary.
So removing the odd behaviour I complain about can not
be regarded as the reason for requiring these checks.

Ciao,

--
FA

Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.