[Ardour-Dev] Tempo Maps and Complex Meters

Ben Bell bjb-ardour-dev at deus.net
Thu Mar 19 01:48:44 PDT 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 01:10:26AM +0100, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> In a context where both occur or alternate could you see 3/5 as 3/4
> with a tempo change ? Technically yes, but musically probably not (see
> below).
Or indeed a bar of 3/4 in quintuplet time?

Thanks for a very interesting answer, and one that perhaps is changing
my mind on the matter, but:

> The score conveys the intentions of the composer, and
[...]

> The *result* of all this you can probably reduce
> to a common denominator, but that is just the
> result, or more exactly, one of the many possible
> results of interpreting such a score. The *intention*
> is lost by doing this, so there is in fact no point
> in ever using such a reduced notation.

What I was trying to get at was that with Ardour we're talking about
recordings rather than score. There isn't a seperate interpretation or
intention because what ardour is involved in /is/ the interpretation. So
things that are audibly identical are, for ardour's purposes, identical.
As long as the grid (both audio, i.e. metronome, and visual) supports
the musical structure in a way that makes sense when recording some of
the concepts that matter in notation for the purposes of conveying
intention aren't relevant.

Having said all of that, I don't know what I expect to gain from keeping
the power of two limitation. Perhaps I should have left the restrictions
out and concentrated on the main reason for the mail which was to think
about things I want to add and improve :-)

bjb

--
+-----Ben Bell - "A song, a perl script and the occasional silly sig.-----+
  ///      email: bjb at deus.net            www: http://www.deus.net/~bjb/