[Ardour-Dev] VST state support

Martin Profittlich martin at profittlich.com
Sat Mar 7 16:36:46 PST 2009

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 07.03.2009, 12:36 -0500 schrieb Paul Davis:
>         - Ardour doesn't know when a plugin state has changed and
>         therefore
>         doesn't ask wether to save the project on exit.
>
> i'll think about this. i think it would be better to encode the chunk
> state and put it into the session file. VST (unlike AU) has no real
> standard for sharing presets/settings across DAWs.

Well, there is FXP, but this is part of the Steinberg SDK and I think
hardly anyone uses that format anyway. I still think it would be nice to
have a common file format for presets. For example, I like to play the
guitar though an ampsim with a lightweight VST host like FST or DSSI-VST
and fiddle around with the controls. It'd be cool to be able to easily
import these settings into Ardour. Of course, that doesn't mean the
session file needs to use this format.

The attached patch saves the chunk in the session file. It is also much
simpler than before.

>         - It seems to be necessary to open the editor of the plugin in
>         [...]
>
> should not be necessary. will consider it.

Doesn't happen with this patch anymore.

> your multithread diagnosis is almost certainly correct. i'm still
> working on a real fix.

Let me know if I can help.

Martin