[Ardour-Dev] weird asm error on core2 in FPU_OPTIMIZATION code (2.0-ongoing)

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Mon Jun 22 01:08:25 PDT 2009

Quoting "Jörn Nettingsmeier" <nettings at stackingdwarves.net>:

> Paul Davis wrote:
>> 2009/6/21 Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings at stackingdwarves.net>:
>>> i see. thanks for the clarification. i'll file a heads-up bug in mantis
>>> with this explanation in it, so that people who run into this issue have
>>> a chance to find it. maybe in the future a more robust way to determine
>>> bit width can be found - or maybe 32/64 bit systems will just die out...
>>
>> the problem is that there is no "right" or "more robust" way to do
>> this - its really a choice.
>
> sure. the problem is that compilation will fail if people run a 32bit OS
> on a 64bit capable CPU, that's how i got the error. (i think.)

I run a 32 bit OS on a 64 capable CPU (core2). I've never ran into
this problem. Have you tried a different version of scons?

> maybe the most "robust" way is to ask the assembler what it thinks is
> best (because it's the assembler that causes the error...)

The code already contains two sets of assembly code: one with x86/64
registers and another with x86 registers. There's no way to compile
one for the other. Hence the macro to switch between the two.

Iirc, when I asked you to paste the output of the scons configure
phase, it said it was compiling for i686, not 64 bit. So it seems
something very unexpected has happened not only for you, but also for
scons.

  Sampo