[Ardour-Dev] Funding: Build and Sell Hardware

Quentin Harley qharley at wbs.co.za
Thu Jan 22 21:22:36 PST 2009

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> Just an idea how we non-developers could work together to provide some
>> value to future users.
>>

> A very valuable idea.

In my experience the hardest part of getting a successful linux centric
Ardour DAW off the ground it to get the hardware right.  I spent almost
6 months planning my system, and still had some issues when I booted my
brand new system up the first time.

Just as the software developers contribute by spending their time and
knowledge, and the testers by supplying the developers with interesting
bugs to squash, the users can share their knowledge and experience to
get affordable and reliable studio worthy systems in the hands of people
that would rather pay someone to prevent down-time - (It took me more
than 6 months fidling and purchasing various hardware combinations to
get decent performance out of my linux system...  It flies now though!)