[Ardour-Dev] Funding: Build and Sell Hardware

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 12:10:42 PST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:35 AM, Thomas Vecchione <seablaede at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 1:44 PM, John Rigg <arddev at sound-man.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 09:59:48AM +0200, Quentin Harley wrote:
>> >    * Flash based drives for high reliability under touring conditions
>>
>> Flash drives have a finite life due to the fact that the memory
>> cells die after a certain number of writes. They're probably OK
>> for storing audio and session files that don't get changed much,
>> but on a system drive the OS does a lot of writes in the background.
>> Just something to be aware of.
>
> While this is correct, there are specific distributions designed to work
> with this, along with the average lifecycle of high end flash drives having
> a good number of read/write cycles as well as automatically cycling cells
> used to spread out workload mean that in most cases this shouldn't be to
> much of a problem if properly prepared.
>
> At least that is my understanding of it anyways.
>
>    Seablade

The ones I've looked at actually put all the highly written stuff in
memory using something like squashfs while the distro is running and
then if it's needed at the next boot will save it to Flash when you do
an orderly shutdown. This helps reduce the number of real write/erase
cycles on the Flash device.

At least that is my understanding of it.

- Mark