[Ardour-Dev] Licensing and enforced payments

Justyn Butler justynbutler at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 22 06:51:10 PST 2009

2009/1/22 John Emmas <johne53 at tiscali.co.uk>:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Justyn Butler"
> Subject: Re: [Ardour-Dev] Licensing and enforced payments
>>
>> I think you aren't considering the heavy cost of this idea.
>>
>> Repository access is required to make improvements to the code.
>>
> Thatks for the contribution Justyn but you concluded by answering the point
> yourself.....   anyone who was making a useful contribution to the code in
> this way would not be charged for access.

Oh dear, I clearly rambled so much in my message that I did not in
fact get my point across. Sorry.

To be completely concise:

1) I have contributed single bug fixes to various different open
source projects.

2) Often, I only contribute once per project (when I run into a bug
that affects me).

3) The process of running into and fixing the problem usually takes
place in a single night (with shorter follow-up sessions at a later
date). It may happen when I try to run the software for the first
time.

4) If I had to contact someone and wait for them to allow me access to
the code, I would not wait. I'd live with it or use something else.

I think the key thing I am trying to say is that for casual
contributors it is often about getting stuck into the coding before
you have a chance to remember that you don't have time to spend on
this...

I can't speak for Ardour. But it is certainly true for the larger
projects I've worked on, which have a lot of one-time contributors.