[Ardour-Dev] Licensing and enforced payments

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Thu Jan 22 05:43:10 PST 2009

John Emmas wrote:
> Thanks Jan and Patrick,
>
> Could I please urge everyone to think quite hard about the SVN option?
> I entirely understand the initial hostility but if you take the time to
> think it through, it really is a good (and workable) idea.

no, i don't agree it's a good idea, and i think the ardour developers
agree with me.

one of the greatest strengths of free software is the following
workflow, which i have encountered time and time again:

step 1: use the software (i'm adventurous, so that means svn. plus i've
found that developers are more motivated if you are using what they are
using.).
step 2: hit a snag.
step 3: /join #ardour
<nettings> hi *!  using ardour-2.0-ongoing. when i do X, then poof. what
gives?
<someone> ah, i see. just committed a fix. can you try?
*nettings checks out and compiles*
<nettings> someone: you rock. thanks!

compare that to:
<nettings> someone: can you upload a tarball so that i can test?
<someone> sorry, i don't have the time and no webspace. wait for the
next release.

by making it harder to access svn, you are hindering testers and
creating more work for developers, while reducing feedback and
stretching the feedback cycle.

no offense meant, but i think part of the problem is that the discussion
is dominated by very vocal people who apparently haven't been working
closely with developers before.

regards,

jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

Verantwortlicher für Veranstaltungstechnik

Audio and event engineer
Ambisonic surround recordings

nettings at stackingdwarves.net
+49 177 7937487