[Ardour-Dev] Licensing and enforced payments

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Jan 22 04:08:49 PST 2009

John Emmas wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Jörn Nettingsmeier"
> Subject: Re: [Ardour-Dev] Licensing and enforced payments
>>
>> repeat after me: there are *no* license keys in GPL'd software. not even
>> for (gasp!) mac users.
>>
>>> If it actually starts to make Ardour some money then that will be very
>>> good for everyone.
>>
>> obviously true, but totally orthogonal if not diametrical to all the
>> ramble about code locks, integrated browsers (knock, knock - anyone
>> home?) and paid-for svn access.
>>
>> now please, can those ideas be buried for good?
>>
> Nobody has yet shown how SVN access is governed by GPL.  IMHO, making a
> (one-off - and SMALL) charge for SVN access - despite its unpopularity
> - is
> a near-perfect scheme with few disadvantages that can't be readily
> overcome.

After a couple of more days of mulling it over I have to agree with you.

There is a technical issue to be resolved in terms of automating the
signup process but the only major obstacle is that some people who would
get free access anyway are offended by the concept because their
wonderful opensource freedoms are being challenged by Pauls reality.

As in can't support kids, Wife loosing patience, must find more stable
income...

We would all be big loosers if the above has to be resolved by Paul
finding other work outside of Ardour dev.

I'm happy to be considered the evil on for continuing to represent the
thorny issues if it means Paul gets to continue working on Ardour by
having a statisfactory revenue stream.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.