[Ardour-Dev] Licensing and enforced payments

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Thu Jan 22 03:59:31 PST 2009

Jan Stary wrote:
> On Jan 22 18:25:48, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>
>>> patrick, you are absolutely, totally missing the point. being obnoxious
>>> to users and creating hassles for users for anything other that solid
>>> technical reasons is totally not what open source is about (even if
>>> those users use evil operating systems).
>>>

>> It seems to me that what you really want to say is that making it
>> absolutely clear to people that use a binary version of an opensource
>> project that they are expected to contribute cash within the interface
>> is not acceptable.
>>

> (Would you stop putting words in people's mounts?
> What on earth does your rephrase have to do with the original?)

Literally. It seems to me that Jorn is not actually interested in Ardour
making as much money as it could because it offends his ideals.

>>> repeat after me: there are *no* license keys in GPL'd software. not even
>>> for (gasp!) mac users.
>>>

>> There are plenty of license keys being used in various projects.
>>

> Not "various projects", Patrick, but "GPL'd software".
> Name some if you can.

Ok. Lets see. Joomla has about 500 of them.

Looks at for example Blue Flame IT or the guys who make acajoom.

They are making real money and actually employing multiple programmers.
They are certainly not complaining about the cash that is rolling in.
The professionals who use their products are very happy to have a
constantly developed application aimed at their specific niche
requirements.

There are many more applications out there.

GPL does not mean "without a License key"

>> Although I have so far only seen it on web based apps that doesn't make
>> it an impossibility for a GPL application.
>>

> Hm, "doesn't make it an impossibility". Apealling.

Hmmm. Can't feed my kids because I work on a project that doesn't
generate any income even though thousands of people use it on a regular
basis... Which one can you digest more easily?

>> There is absolutely no reason that Ardour cannot be a completely
>> integrated solution for the entire "business" of making audio with
>> Ardour.
>>

> Yes, Ardour can be a completely integrated solution for
> making audio. What does licensing or any other non-technical
> issue have to do with it?

Hmm, Let me refresh you as you appear to have forgotten that the point
of this discussion is to figure out how to make more money so Paul can
continue working on Ardour.

>> If there is a way to make money with Ardour while keeping the code open
>> sourced then it should be completely reasonable to discuss the options.
>>

> We have, and found it a nonsense.
> Paul says it's not gonna happen.

No. Paul says the option you presented is not going to happen. He didn't
specifically rule out a License key or any of the other options.

> Now let's just burry it.

Oh no, I'm having way too much fun.

--
Patrick Shirkey