[Ardour-Dev] Licensing and enforced payments

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Thu Jan 22 03:07:08 PST 2009

Patrick Shirkey wrote:
> Jan Stary wrote:
>> On Jan 21 13:58:20, John Rigg wrote:
>> If you want to stay open source (in whatever sense), you have
>> to provide the source code. And as soon as you do (9), someone
>> is gonna fork your code, with no other change than throwing
>> away the code that disables interfaces etc.
>>

> And if they do that they will receive the evil eye of the developers and
> make themselves look like a real *hole.

patrick, you are absolutely, totally missing the point. being obnoxious
to users and creating hassles for users for anything other that solid
technical reasons is totally not what open source is about (even if
those users use evil operating systems).

to make it very clear: i have a bunch of servers with ample bandwidth.
if such bogus obstactles are ever introduced into the code, i swear i
will have a forked svn going within 30 minutes, just to make a point.

> I think most rational people and busy developers will not be bothered to
> maintain a fork of Ardour just to make sure a License key for mac users
> and people who are unable to compile a binary isn't part of the system.

repeat after me: there are *no* license keys in GPL'd software. not even
for (gasp!) mac users.

> If it actually starts to make Ardour some money then that will be very
> good for everyone.

obviously true, but totally orthogonal if not diametrical to all the
ramble about code locks, integrated browsers (knock, knock - anyone
home?) and paid-for svn access.

now please, can those ideas be buried for good?
--
Jörn Nettingsmeier

Verantwortlicher für Veranstaltungstechnik

Audio and event engineer
Ambisonic surround recordings

nettings at stackingdwarves.net
+49 177 7937487