[Ardour-Dev] Licensing and enforced payments

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Wed Jan 21 21:31:12 PST 2009

Jan Stary wrote:
> On Jan 21 13:58:20, John Rigg wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 11:45:29AM +0700, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>>
>>> 9: Paid License to: disable crippled interface, Get access to more
>>> features, Disable RSS ticker
>>>

> If you want to stay open source (in whatever sense), you have
> to provide the source code. And as soon as you do (9), someone
> is gonna fork your code, with no other change than throwing
> away the code that disables interfaces etc.

And if they do that they will receive the evil eye of the developers and
make themselves look like a real *hole.

I think most rational people and busy developers will not be bothered to
maintain a fork of Ardour just to make sure a License key for mac users
and people who are unable to compile a binary isn't part of the system.

If it actually starts to make Ardour some money then that will be very
good for everyone.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd.