[Ardour-Dev] Funding: Build and Sell Hardware

Thomas Vecchione seablaede at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 12:56:24 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 3:45 PM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 20:55 +0000, John Rigg wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 04:09:19AM +0700, Hans Baier wrote:
> > > Take expresscard, put in a number of ICE1712
> > > and some nice DAC/ADC together with a MIDI chip,
> > > (perhaps make it modular to being able to add more ICEs, if needed),
> > > find someone in China, Malaysia (or I can find one here in Indonesia)
> > > who assembles it.
> >
> > The way things are going, only the low end of the market (ie. people
> > who don't use DAWs) will be using PCI/PCIe cards with built in
> > converters before long.
> >
> > For low channel counts (8 or less) firewire is taking over.
>
> You must have missed apple's recent announcement :)
>
> Its unclear what will happen to firewire now that they have dropped it
> from their most accessible laptops. It may make little difference, it
> may make all the difference in the world.

Well on the flip side of this, they just recently(This morning) upgraded
their 'White' non-unibody Macbook to nearly match the features of the
uni-body, and it still costs much less($999USD) as well as has firewire.
The MBP still has FW, albiet only a single port.  While I personally
strongly disagree with dropping FW, they do still have it at least in
limited capacity.

Plus people on the windows side of things still use FW as well:)  I don't
think it is going to go far for the professional market myself.  We will see
PCI replaced with PCI-E and Expresscard replacing PCMCIA certainly, but
whether FW gets replaced is less of a certainty.  But that is all guessing
anyways at this point.

         Seablade